The purpose of this study is to investigate the role of acupuncture use on: 1) decrease the requirements for pharmacologic analgesic, 2) improve patient-reported pain, 3) expedite recovery process, and 4) improve the quality of life.
Consecutive male and post-menopausal female patients expected to require more than 24 hours of mechanical ventilation will be included.
- Children < 18 years of age
- Patients with active resuscitation (fluid boluses greater than 2 Liter per hour, rapid transfusions, titration of vasoactive medication)
- Patients with hemodynamic instability: heart rate less than 40/min or greater than 120/min, SBP < 90 or > 180 mm Hg for longer than 2 continuous hours
- Patients who are pregnant or pre-menopausal
- Patients with expected survival less than 6 3 months
- Major deformities of the upper or lower extremities and/or any active skin lesions or ulcers in acupuncture treatment areas.
- Patients with a pacemaker or other implanted electronic device
Last updated: 01/15/2013
NCT ID: NCT01621139