This study is being done to understand the effects of calorie restriction and weight loss on muscle protein metabolism in adult men and women.
- BMI will be between 30 kg/m2 - 38 kg/m2 and waist circumference for women ≥ 88 cm and men ≥ 104 cm
- Age 45 to 65 years.
- Male and Female
- Active coronary artery disease
- BMI < 30 kg/m2 Participation in structured exercise (>2 times per week for 30 minutes or longer)
- Medications known to affect muscle metabolism (beta blockers)
- Renal failure (serum creatinine > 1.5mg/dl)
- Chronic active liver disease (AST and ALT > 3 times normal)
- Fasting blood glucose > 126 mg/dl
- Anti-coagulant therapy (warfarin/heparin)
Last updated: 11/07/2012
NCT ID: NCT01497106