- Determine the optimal criteria for determination of ototoxicity in younger cancer patients treated with cisplatin.
- Determine the feasibility of including ultrahigh frequency and evoked otoacoustic emission testing as adjunctive measures of ototoxicity.
- Determine the feasibility and necessity of central review of audiometry data.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter, prospective, cohort study.
Patients undergo hearing tests (conventional, otoscopy, ultrahigh frequency, and otoacoustic emission testing) before the first course of planned cisplatin, before each subsequent course of cisplatin, and 4 weeks after the last dose of cisplatin.
Patients who are scheduled to receive hematopoietic progenitor stem cell transplantation undergo hearing tests before the transplantation and 4 weeks after transplantation.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 282 patients will be accrued for this study.
- Planning to undergo treatment with any cisplatin-containing therapeutic regimen for cancer
- Treatment does not need to be on a COG therapeutic study
- Planning to enroll on clinical trial ACCL0431
- Not specified
PRIOR CONCURRENT THERAPY:
- See Disease Characteristics
- No prior cisplatin
Last updated: 10/18/2012
NCT ID: NCT00458887