The objective of this project is to validate the proposed smartphone-based activity monitor and to test its use for Motivational Interviewing based counseling for physical activity in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
- Men and women age 40 years and older
- Current or former smoker of at least 10 pack-years
- Diagnosis of GOLD stage II to IV COPD as documented by pulmonary function testing (FEV1 (Forced expiratory volume in 1 second) <80 percent predicted, FEV1/FVC(Forced vital capacity)<0.71)
- Able to walk independently or with a walking aid (e.g. wheeled walker, cane, standard walker)
- Unable to walk without assistance of another person
- Patients with a high likelihood of being lost to follow-up or contact (patients with active chemical dependency), are planning to move out of the state, are not living in the healthcare area.
- Patients with an inability to provide good data or follow commands (patients who are disoriented, have a severe neurologic or psychiatric condition).
Last updated: 04/01/2013