I. To evaluate the mechanism(s) of action of pioglitazone as a candidate chemopreventive agent for lung cancer by investigating the effects on Ki-67 defined in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) tumor tissue.
I. To determine the effects of pioglitazone on multiple markers listed below:
- Tumor tissue: caspase-3, cyclin D1, p21/Waf1, PPARγ, MUC1.
- Premalignant tissue: Ki-67, caspase-3, PPARγ.
- Histologically normal tissue: Ki-67, PPARγ. II. To evaluate the toxicity and safety of pioglitazone in this patient population.
III. To analyze the expression of serum markers that are affected by pioglitazone.
IV. To describe the effects of limited treatment with pioglitazone on tumor metabolic activity as determined by FDG-PET (assessed before and after a minimum of 2 weeks of treatment).
Patients receive pioglitazone hydrochloride orally once daily for 14-42 days. Patients then undergo surgery.
- Suspected or biopsy-proven NSCLC
- Willingness to provide biopsy tissue for correlative studies
- Candidate for pulmonary resection; must be able to schedule >= 14 days and =< 42 days between registration and surgery to allow for treatment with pioglitazone
- Ability to understand and the willingness to sign a written informed consent document
- Ability and willingness to swallow oral tablets
- Ability and willingness to undergo two bronchoscopies (before treatment and at the time of surgery)
- For those participants who are undergoing mediastinoscopy as part of their standard-of-care, the pre-treatment bronchoscopy may be performed during the mediastinoscopy; if the participant remains eligible for definitive surgical resection after the mediastinoscopy, the participant may proceed to registration and pioglitazone treatment
- Current or former smoker with a >= 10 pack-year smoking history
- Women of child-bearing potential and men who agree to use adequate contraception for the duration of study participation; the effects of pioglitazone on the developing human fetus at the recommended therapeutic dose are unknown; for this reason, women must not be pregnant or lactating. Women of child-bearing potential (women considered not of childbearing potential if they are at least two years postmenopausal and/or surgically sterile) must have used adequate contraception (abstinence; barrier methods such as IUD, diaphragm with spermicidal gel, condom, or others; and hormonal methods such as birth control pills or others) since her last menses prior to study entry; should a woman become pregnant or suspect she is pregnant while participating in this study, she should inform her study physician immediately
- Receiving any other investigational agents
- History of allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar chemical or biologic composition to pioglitazone
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements
- Pregnant or lactating woman
- Currently treated diabetes
- Participants with >= class II NYHA congestive heart failure or history of congestive heart failure
- Participants with >= grade 2 (moderate) edema
- Participants currently receiving an inhibitor of CYP2C8 (gemfibrozil, ketoconazole, quercetin, trimethoprim), or an inducer of CYP2C8 (cortisol, dexamethasone, phenobarbital, rifampin), or CYP3A4 substrate
- Prior neoadjuvant therapy for NSCLC
- History of bladder cancer or in situ bladder cancer
Last updated: 03/06/2013