- To collect biological specimens from patients with osteosarcoma at Children's Oncology Group (COG) institutions.
- To provide a repository for long-term storage of osteosarcoma-related biological materials.
- To make these specimens available to qualified researchers to understand the biology of osteosarcoma and correlate these results with the patients' clinical data.
OUTLINE: After the initial submission of blood samples, patients may undergo open or closed biopsy in order to obtain fresh and frozen tissue samples as well as paraffin embedded material. Patients who are enrolled at the time of initial diagnosis but then have a definitive surgery or develop recurrent disease may submit additional samples (paraffin block, frozen and fresh tumor tissue, or slides together with blood samples). Autopsy tumor samples may also be submitted.
- All osteosarcoma patients seen at COG institutions are eligible, including the following:
- Newly diagnosed patients
- Patients with recurrent disease who were not enrolled at the time of diagnosis
- The following specimens from the initial biopsy (and/or definitive surgery if an up-front resection is performed) are required:
- Paraffin embedded block OR 30 unstained slides
- Pretreatment blood consisting of 5 mL serum, 10 mL plasma, and 10 mL heparinized whole blood
- Fresh and frozen tumor specimens
- Not specified
PRIOR CONCURRENT THERAPY:
- Patients are not required to enter a therapeutic study to enroll on this study
Last updated: 11/22/2012